Saturday, July 3, 2010

Looks like I made it!

Yes, I am here in this beautiful country in which I cannot communicate with the people. In all my travels I have never felt this helpless. (Well, there was Thailand, but we had a tour guide so that doesn't really count.) I guess I didn't realize not everyone in the world speaks English. I had been fooled into believing (maybe it was me who convinced myself) that I would be fine without speaking Spanish. I'd like to know why all of my Spanish-speaking friends and family did not insist on my learning Spanish - yes, I am blaming this on you because I don't want to admit that I should have studied Spanish for more than two hours over the last two months. Actually, the sisters have been very patient with me and they speak Spanish extremely slowly so I can at least grasp most of the concepts. I have also spent time every day I have been here (3 days so far not including today) with teachers at the school who speak English. Everyone has been very friendly and hospitable. Last night we even went to see Karate Kid (dubbed into Spanish). I understood enough to cry at the end :).


















The convent in which I am living is enormous. Since there are only six sisters who live here, they only use the first of two floors. Even if there were 20 sisters who lived here, there would be plenty of room. The first floor alone must be about 8,000 square feet. The pictures are taken of my bedroom and from my bedroom door. I have always loved the look and feel of cloisters, so it is exciting for me to live in a cloistered convent. The picture with the open door at the end shows the door to the school from the convent - yes, I am that close to work. After 21 years of driving 30+ minutes to and from school, it will be nice to only walk a few feet. The picture behind the title of the blog is what I see as I stand looking straight out my door. Pretty nice, huh? BTW, the last picture is of the wall above my bed. It has the one decoration I brought from home - a Gone Surfin' tile (Thanks Michelle).


Today has been much cooler (or should I say much less humid) than the previous three days, which is nice. I am sure it was because of the storm. Last night, beginning at about 4:00 a.m., there was a huge thunderstorm. I don't remember hearing thunder like that and the rain fell hard. The people here told me that since Barranquilla is close to the Magdalena River, when it rains a lot the river overflows, the streets become rivers themselves, and it is impossible to leave home. I wondered last night if that would happen, but I guess not yet.


I did my first load of laundry today. The sisters have a washer, although I imagine much of their washing is done by hand because they have large sinks with cement washboards. I used the washer since they keep telling me this is mi casa. I then proceeded to hang my clothes on a long clothesline to dry, with the help of one of the sisters. At some point I'll include a picture of the lavenderia. It really isn't that big of a deal to line-dry all of my clothes, but the whole operation is something to behold.


I don't want to make this post so long that no one wants to read all of it, but I want to include somethig about the food - delicioso! I am going to be so healthy it's not even funny. The sisters have something of an orchard in their yard so there is fresh fruit a-plenty. They also supplement with other fruits, which satisfies my fruit tooth. There is fruit at every meal and fresh fruit juice. Lunch is the biggest meal and it consists of several courses: 1. fruit; 2. soup - yummy, yummy soup; 3. rice and/or potatoes, meat(s), salad, desert. Dinner has been something simple like soup or left overs from lunch, but it is still good. There is a cook and so far everything she has cooked is sabrosa. Of course she is no Lali, but who is?


I am sure there is more, but no need to give everything away at once. I'm not sure how well this whole blog thing will work for me, but I'll do my best to keep up with it.


Love to all!



12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a life! I'm so glad you decided to start a blog! I'll definitely be checking in on you! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you but I've just bought a plane ticket to Columbia i will be on the plane tomorrow after noon.( JK ) I wish i could. But now i cant talk to you here. I really really really miss you as a teacher

    Love your student,
    Peggy Zisk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue.. Your Blog and pictures are marvelous.. I see you have experienced laundry of past ages...that is how it is done even in Rome at the General House! hanging clothes on a line like I did as a kid!
    Keep posting pictures it's as close as I'll ever get to where you are!...I know the Spanish sounds foreign now, guaranteed in a couple of months you will speak and understand like a native! We are prayign for you an dso grateful for your service ... continued service to the Company
    Love and misses
    Sr. Bridget Sanchez, ODN CA USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it ok. Keep up the posts, you are better at this than you give yourself credit for. We'll have Johnny post occasionally in Spanish to give you practice! Can't wait to read the next installment.

    hugs ... Tracy Meneses

    ReplyDelete
  5. First thing I learned to say in spanish, "No quiero bailar contigo porque eres feo".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola mi amiga!!
    Estoy feliz que llegaran bien! Que hermosa que su lugar esta! Que verde! Wow, you made it! So excited to hear about your first few days. Been thinking about you and hoping all is going well. Have you started teaching? Believe me you will pick up spanish pretty quick if no one is speaking english to you. You are going to be buenisimo! loved your pictures.

    love ya, Katie
    guess I'm not signed in so it picked Dan, go figure, this is where I'm useless:/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Susan,
    Happy forth of July!!!! No big celebrations down there. They broke out the ice cream for me. Have a great day and enjoy your students. Talk to them, that's how I learned my Spanish. They will help you they are great kids, especially the ones in Bosque. Give them all hugs for me I miss them. Two showers a day is acceptable that's how I made it through the humid weather. Watch out for the mosquitoes they tried to eat me alive. Spray your room 1 hr. before you go to bed helps alot. The mall is one block from you. Have you found it yet? it has all you will need. I hope you took an umbrella it will protect you from the sun..if not get one or you will roast. Take care of your self stay hidrated Gatorade is the best.
    prayers, Sr. Zina

    ReplyDelete
  8. No time like the present to start your Spanish lessons ...

    Estoy feliz de ver que has llegado sano y salvo. Adoro el blog y verificaré en regularmente. Garantizo emersion total le tendrá hablando como un nativo próximamente.

    ¡La deseo buena suerte y se mantiene al ritmo del blog!

    Talk to you sooner than later!

    Deb Tejadilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your time in Columbia is sure to be an experience you will never forget. Maybe someday my parents and I will fly there so we can visit you and see what Columbia is really like. I will miss you at school next year. It sure will be different not seeing you for math class, English class, decathlon, as my homeroom teacher, or as my house leader, but I will have to manage. Good luck!

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, I heard you were going but I didn't know you were already there. I remembered you talking about teaching abroad next year so I figured it will be in the fall. Sounds like you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are obviously a brave and adventurous soul! I can't imagine what it takes to commit to a whole year away from home. I really hope it all works out wonderfully for you! It will be fun to check in and see how you're doing. Good luck Susan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MS AGLE!!!!
    How is LP EVER gonna live without you??????? You can't teach our english and math classes from so far away! i hope you will have alot of fun in Columbia and i hope that you will correct my spelling, grammar and usage if i need it!!!(jk)
    Miss you SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Aley Even :D

    ReplyDelete