Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Birthday!!!!

I knew it had been a while since I posted, but I didn't realize it had been almost a month. My, how time flies!!! A month ago today I celebrated my birthday on a silent retreat. It was a different birthday than I'd had before, but it was an adventure non-the-less.














The weekend before my birthday, though, I had some students take me to dinner for my birthday. The dinner was yummy and the girls were hilarious. They insisted on taking pictures of everything and every moment. They told the retaurant it was my birthday, and then they took pictures of my dessert, my candle, me blowing out the candle, ice cream on my nose, me eating my dessert, etc. It was quite funny.














And then the day before my birthday, Kelly and Lina (the 7th grade English teacher) took me to lunch and to the Museo Romantico. The museum is totally kitschy. It has displays with mannequins wearing the dresses of the carnaval queens, memorabilia from days of old in Barranquilla, old cameras and a printing press, and even a mannequin wearing the dress of a famous poet. I really liked it even though it was not what I would normally call a museum. It was also fun to spend the afternoon with Kelly and Lina.

As most people know, I have never been on a silent retreat. Most people proably also know me well enough to know a silent retreat and I probably wouldn't get along too well. That's what I thought, too...but I actually enjoyed it. It could have been because it wasn't all that silent. We had a great deal of silent time to meditate and reflect, but we also had plenty of time to talk, laugh, and explore. I also found time to swim in the Caribbean Sea three times. I've probably said this before, but the water temperature here is delicious. I love it. On the last morning, a group of 12 of us went swimming at 5:30 in the morning. It was so much fun.






Now to the pictures...The women in the pictures at the beach are all English teachers. The one "posing" is Kelly Torres (yes, Kelly #3 who teaches 1st-3rd English). The others are Lucia (10th & 11th grade English), Nohora (1st-3rd English), and Maria Claudia (Preschool & 2nd grade English). They have all been so wonderful to me. The final picture in the bedroom has me (looking like I am asleep or dead) with some elementary school teachers I didn't know prior to the retreat. The one my right is Rossana (3rd grade teacher), on my left is Luciana (Preschool teacher), and in the corner is Nacha. Luciana speaks some English, but the others don't, so it was fun talking to them and mutually laughing at each others' bad use of a foreign language. I felt like the retreat was a great experience not because of the hours I spent meditating, but because of the time I spent getting to know some people I didn't know before.

3 comments:

  1. Yup..it's been a long long time since you have post this...Happy Late Birthday!! The girls at volleyball said they were going to win for you at your birthday, but they lost...they got 8th place in their volleyball tournament!! Today, I just got my first warning of the year...I was sooo depressed. But, at least I didn't get a detention...this new kid named Anh (Vietnamese like me) had the first detention two weeks ago, and we were going to Disneyland until he got a detention!!!! WAH!! But it's pretty ok here..having fun without you..I'M JUST KIDDING!!! Jajajaja! (Inside joke)
    Love and Best Wishes, June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated happy birthday!!! You look like you're having so much fun! :) The Museo Romantico looks like amazing kitschy goodness. :) Melissa says she is supposed to close on a house today-- I am so happy for her and for you and all the nifty stuff you guys are doing, but we miss you. Let's see... back at LP, Aidan has taken up the trumpet to join band at LP, and Fiona is playing the recorder. Aidan already plays electric guitar-- so this time, could we get him to play a quiet instrument? Nope. :) Today I walked past Mrs. Geary's classroom, where she teaches the big kids science, and Aidan was in there. He's a big kid. When did this happen? Brendan started reading a few weeks ago and LOVES it-- really fun to watch. And Harry Potter movie #7 comes out this week-- great news for us Harry Potter geeks. :) That's all from here! Glad to see you doing so well after a month off, but I missed your fun blogging. :)
    GrĂ¡inne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know it was your BD, Susan!!! Why didn't you say something?!!! Maybe I would have gotten sth 4 u :S

    ReplyDelete